NSSL Our Profession Page Banner  
Table Of Contents Speech-language pathologists (SLP) are the professionals who treat all types of speech, language, hearing and related disorders. At the minimum, a masters degree from an accredited university and certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association are the requirements. In New York State, SLP's are also licensed by the state. Some SLP's also hold certification in Teacher of the Speech and Hearing Handicapped (TSHH).

Speech-language pathologists work in schools, private practice, hospitals, clinics, and other health and educational settings. SLP's may also provide direct services in a family's home.

For information in the Long Island area, contact the Long Island Speech-Language-Hearing Association (LISHA) You may also visit LISHA online at www.lisha.org.

For information in the New York metropolitan area, contact the New York City Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NYCSLHA).

For information concerning all other regions in New York State, contact the New York State Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NYSHLA).

For topics concerning the profession nationally, contact the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). You may also visit ASHA online at www.asha.org.

    Send mail to webmaster@nssl.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 1997 North Shore Speech-Language Associates
Last modified: November 29, 1998